Tuesday, June 17, 2008

he's the happy daddy and he's also the dog!

Title of today's post brought to you courtesy of my new favorite Telly sketch on Sesame Street, "Happy Family." Song goes, "I'm the happy mommy!" "I'm the happy kid!" "I'm the happy daddy, and I'm also - the dog!" "He's the happy daddy, and he's also the dog!"

Our happy daddy isn't also the dog. Thank god for that! We had a very pleasant - a.k.a. low stress - father's day, even though it involved brunch. This is mostly thanks to the fact that Abba, Kiss and Scouty were up here, providing no small amount of entertainment to our own little meal-wrecker. I gave L a watch he'd been wanting - he's really super easy to buy for, since he routinely gets excited about various objects - and I gave my dad some Ray Charles cds and a card promising an artistic rendering of the photograph of his choice (paint or pencils, depending on the photo). I figured one of those things would fit the bill. I think it turned out to be the Ray Charles, but I'll have fun with the photo project anyway.

I think I've figured out why I've been so exercised over the pregnant women issue. Jello. The lime green kind. I suppose it was an obvious point, but I think I was confused because it wasn't just jealousy, but rather the experience of emotional conflict. I would like to have another baby, but I also would really like to return to full-time work. These two possibilities are in direct conflict, at least for the foreseeable future. I've decided in favor of work, which means that while part of me is satisfied, part of me is still un peu triste. So that part comes out as unwarranted snideness towards people who are doing what part of me would like to do.

No comments: